[VIC] Locomotive Construction

In the curren issue of Wheels Magazine is a supplement about HSV.  In
this supplement, mention is made that their site (the former
Volkswagen and latter Nissan Plant on centre road (I think) Clayton)
was used as a site for the manufacture of locomotives, so much so that
the tracks are still in the car park today.

Can anyone tell me who used this site for manufacturing of
locomotives?

All scientific discoveries are first recorded on napkins or
tablecloths. Engineering advances are drawn inside matchbook
covers. Keep supplies of them handy at all times.
     ---Anonymous