Re: [NSW] Martin Place station and also old lines.

maikha_l@hotmail.com wrote:
> My second Q is on past railway lines.
> I've always been curious 'bout them. Ropes Creek I live near and know
> still exists so I'll leave that one but what about the old Camellia to
> Sandown line?
>
> This line has three stations (Hardies, Goodyears and Sandown) and
> extneds just behind Rosehill Racecourse. Is there any history on that
> line, I do know Red Rattlers use to go along that line, and that the
> following 3 stations were industrial.
>
> (By the way one of yours have an image of a few Tangara's on that line
> in 1991 I think for the "Golden Slipper")

I think FreightCorp still run oil trains to and from the refinery
there. The majority of the Hardies site was demolished some time ago,
and the old Goodyears factory was also demolished one or two years ago.
It closed down production many years before (my father used to work in
the office there). I understand that trains for the workers were run
along the line when the factories were still open. I have seen CityRail
trains backed up along the line for use on a race day (I think it was
Ladies' Day) a couple of years ago.

Regards, David.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.