Re: Photo help - last night @ PLP

Baron

thebaron@nospam.ozemail.com.au wrote in message
<8snqqi$2s3m$1@pc1762.alcatel.com.au>...
|I was thinking of getting a camera(SLR type) for the usual gunzelling
reasons.
|Not knowing anything about it What would people recommend?

Apart from the trouble I'm having with Paralympic Park at night (first time
there with new camera), I'm having good results with a Pentax MZ-50 which
comes with a 28-80 zoom usually. If just brought a 70-300mm zoom to go with
it and I must say it makes a difference seeing things and getting angles
that I'd have no hope of getting overwise. To give you an example, I was
standing in the dry at the Sydney end of Parramatta platform 1 on Wednesday
and took a photo of a train on the curve that is halfway between Parramatta
and Harris Park (this pic will be on my website before the end of the
weekend). I'm sure that there are lots of other examples.

|Also what are some of the best gunzeling spots around sydney?

It depends on a number of things:

* What type of trains you like/prefer to gunzel (for instance, a fan of
passenger train would not go to Enfield)
* How you plan to get to the location (on foot/by train/in car)
* Where you live (this will give you a good place to start if you live in a
busy area)

Some spots that I like that are easily accessible by train or car (which
have a good variety) include:

Central station
Parramatta River at Meadowbank
Georges River at Como/Oatley (for the Oatley side, a bit of bushwalking is
required)
South Creek Viaduct at St Marys
the climb out of Penrith towards Sydney
the Sydney Harbour Bridge

There are numerous stations that give you good views as well if you have a
ticket (especially important for big stations).

I have some of these sites mentioned (and some trip reports) at
http://www.erk.au.com/erktrans/trips/index.htm

Hope this helps.

--
Eric