Re: Some Questions

In article <39eccf29$1@news.iprimus.com.au>,
  "Erk" <erk@erkV69.au.com> wrote:
> Glen
>
> I think that the English may have decided what standard gauge was
going to
> be before we used it. We used it because they did and they built a
lot of
> our early trains.

There's an urban myth going around that the standard guage width is
equivelant to 2 horses arses. Apparently back in the days when England
was under Roman rulership, the Roman's built a lot of their
infrastructure such as roads, sewerage etc. Anyway the roads were wide
enough for the chariots which were pulled along by 2 horses side by
side. These chariots caused ruts in the roads. Anyway when the Romans
vacated England they left this legacy of roads. Therefore when the
English built buggies for these roads they made them wide enough to
follow the ruts. So as time progressed and the railway was invented the
buggy makers became the carriage builders. And since all their
machinery was set up for the buggies, they kept the same guage for the
carriages. Therefore the rails were set at this guage. I don't know how
true this is and it doesn't cater for broad guage or narrow guage.

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer

> In relation to drivers for CityRail, I think they want you to start
at the
> bottom (Customer service Attendant), be a guard for a while and then a
> driver and not just be a driver to start with no other experience. I
can't
> confirm this (and it isn't what you asked but others may have thought
of it)
> but I've sure that David J or Tezza might be able to if they wish.
>
> --
> Eric
> www.erk.au.com
> erk@erkV69.au.com
> (Remove the V69 to reply)
>
> This post was brought to you with
> the assistance of the shift,
> space bar and full stop keys
>
> Glen O'Riley wrote in message <8shcok$vmi$1@bugstomper.ihug.com.au>...
> |1. Why is the NSW guage track considered the standar guage?
> |
> |2. How strict are the medicals to become a driver of one of the city
> |passenger fleet?
> |
> |3. Are there any decent simulations (beta or full) for both train
driving
> |and/or control (e.g. changing light colours and points)?
> |
> |--

> |You Spam Me, I Report You
> |
> |Fight Spam @ www.caube.org.au

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/