Re: Some Questions

In reality the standard gauge stemmed from the rails being place 5' apart to
the outer edges on the Darlington/Stockrington Railway - the rails being 1
3/4" wide brought the internal gauge to 4'8 1/2" - not quite as romantic as
the horses arse theory.

NSW was originally going to be 5'3" in agreement with Vic.  A change of
engineers before construction began brought a change to std gauge.  Vic
already had rolling stock on the water so decided to remain with 5'3".

So the gauge fiasco is due to a change of mind - after initial sensible
agreement (even if it may be argued the original choice of gauge may not
have been the best - in hindsight).

Goldie

8siv4d$oio$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8siv4d$oio$1@nnrp1.deja.com...