Re: [NSW] What's a ...

In article <39ebfe7d@news.hunterlink.net.au>,
  "Ben O'Regan" <benandveronica@net21.com.au> wrote:
> Looking through the ARHS Signalling Diagram CD-Rom and have noticed a
lot of
> the diagrams have:
>
> Train Bar
> Clearance Bar
> Depression Bar
>
> at various places, mostly it seems at the end of loops or main lines
where
> loops join.
>
> Does anyone know what they were for and how they worked?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Ben

Basically they were used to lock the points when a train was on (or
very close) to them. The bar was depressed by the wheel flange and this
moved a plunger which prevented the points from moving. However with
the advent of track circuits these devices were removed. I know, one of
my first designs when I was in State Rail was to remove them from
various places around NSW. Anyway other folks in this NG will be able
to elaborate more on them.

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/