Re: Favor to ask

Chris Stratton wrote in message <8sg1kt$93l$1@gossamer.itmel.bhp.com.au>...

>I used to frequent the two in Wollongong in my younger years. The Southline
>was at Fairy Meadow and has been bulldozed and replaced by a light
>industrial area, the Lakeline was at Kanahooka (called Dapto in the list)
>and it has been replaced by a residential estate.
>I also went to the Dubbo drive-in in January 1987, I can't remember the
main
>feature but the second film was "Howard the Duck" which would be one of the
>worst films I have ever seen.

The Fairy Meadow one - where abouts was that exactly? In the Ralph Black
Drive area near the Princes Hwy/F8 interchange? Fairy Meadow would be
perfect for drive-ins actually.... Puckey's Estate on Squires Way would be
the ideal location - a massive beachside reserve, relatively flat, and
pretty much unused as-is except for rather unsavoury purposes which
shouldn't be discussed on this newsgroup. And you could run a spur-line from
the South Coast line to the drive-in across that empty land around Campus
East and Brandon Park and the Science Centre! :-)

As for Dapto, well, the Dapto area just looks as though it was made for
drive-ins... outer-suburban; lots of low-level semi-agricultural meadows;
working-class; low-density industrial development.... and the Escarpment
would make for a good 'dark background' to help emphasise the screen and
counteract any moonlight, haze, starlight, etc. And where was this drive-in
exactly? I reckon the Princes Hwy where the Kanahooka/Dapto residential area
peters out would be perfect. And you wouldn't need any spurline to service
the theatre :-)

Thanks and regards,
Bradley.