Re: (NT) Larrimah preservation group?

"Chris Stratton" <stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au> wrote:

> The TA class has 3 axles coupled with siderods like the NSW 70 class. It
> weighs 38t so would have a 12.7t axle load. To compare with the diesel locos
> that used the line NSU and NT  have 10.3t and 11.7t axle load respectively.

Fair enough.

Larrimah became the terminus in the fifties with the
advent of the CO-ORD road rail service.  Only several
hundred metres of the old line to Birdum were used to
enable loco's to turn on the triangle and load cattle
at the southern end of the Larrimah yards.

All of the line remained intact to Birdum and I
traveled alongside some years after the NAR closed and
sections of it were in good condition but there were
dodgy bits.  Some of the steel sleepers were showing
signs of corrosion.  The line lay unused for years and
is located in substantial rainfall country, so I guess
there had to be problems whatever the axle loading.

----Tell
<< Knock out net01 for email reply. >>