Re: Melbourne - Darwin receives boost

"T & J Jones" <jonest@senet.com.au> wrote:

> I assume that as the State and Federal Governements are giving the CAR
> (Tarcoola - Alice line) to the owners of the Alice - Darwin line then NRC's
> existing right of access to Alice will lapse.  This would mean that NRC
> would have to negotiate access rights with the new owners so I can't see how
> it does anything except reduce the value of NRC?

Sure they would, NRC are still the only operator up
here and they are doing the job well, we still only
have five freights per 7 day week.  OK, they were
handed AN's freight on a plate with AN's loco's, crews
and infrastructure until they became their own entity,
fully protected until that happened.  BUT, they must be
doing something right, sheesh, you have to see some of
their trains to believe it, long and double stacked.

There is absolutely nothing stopping any other operator
from hauling freight to the Northern Territory.
NONE have taken them on.!

More to the point, whoever owns the TAS line in the
future, will not be able to discriminate under ACCC
rules against any operator, that includes NRC or their
probable future owners.
A bit different to NSW, anyone know their prices yet.?

> No way...... they'll just blame private enterprise and the Fed's

Possibly, but thats politics Oz style.

----Tell
<< Knock out net01 for email reply. >>