Re: Alice Springs - Darwin contract signing this week

In article <fjsG5.69$QR.3321@news0.optus.net.au>,
  dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:
> Just heard on ABC Newsradio that the agreement to build the Darwin
line is
> to be signed this week. Chief Minister Denis Burke said that the
contracts
> will be ready tomorrow. He will be visiting Adelaide on Wednesday and
the
> Prime Minister is due to visit Darwin on Friday.
>
> Cheers
> David

This is on the ABC news site at:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newslink/nat/newsnat-16oct2000-25.htm

Of course, this is all symbolic and does little or nothing to bring the
line to reality, as the article goes on to say:

"Signing the contracts will not be the final hurdle for the project,
which is still waiting for a private ruling from the Australian Tax
Office, and for the banks to agree to lend the consortium the money it
needs."

My own opinion: I really can't see how this line will ever generate
sufficient traffic to cover its costs, and would not be surprised to see
the whole thing stall due to lack of finance. I hope everybody isn't too
upset when this project fails to commence construction.

--
This account is a spam filter.  Please send e-mail replies to:
colin.weaver<AT>boeing.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.