Re: [Melb] Tram Conductors

"David McLoughlin" <davemclNOSPAM@iprolink.co.nz> wrote in
message 39E55955.C81@iprolink.co.nz">news:39E55955.C81@iprolink.co.nz...
> David Lindstrom wrote:
>
> > I really think that there's no getting away from the fact
that
> > you really do need conductors on trams. Metcard works fine
with
> > buses and trains, but it's a hopeless system for trams. The
> > government really has a responsibilty to either put the
> > conductors back or forget about selling tickets on trams.
>
> Nonsense (no offence meant to you David).
>
> Most tramway systems anywhere in the world do not have
conductors. They
> either have pre-ride ticket purchases validated in an on-board
machine
> or machines on the trams that sell tickets, or drivers who
will sell
> tickets, or a mixture of all of these.
>
> Some cities, such as Amsterdam and Sheffield, have
reintroduced (or
> introduced in the case of Sheffield) conductors for local
reasons such
> as vandalism, violence on late-night trams or massive fare
evasion, but
> conductors are not the norm.
>

> What is not the norm in Melbourne is the fact that the
on-board ticket
> machines on the trams do not sell the most popular ticket (the
all-day
> one). This was a blunder from the start, many of us in this
newsgroup
> pointed out this blunder from the start, and until it is fixed
the fare
> evasion problem in Melbourne will continue massively.
>
> That apart, the other major problem is requring holders of a
valid
> ticket to revalidate it on each boarding which is also
bizarre.

> David McLoughlin
> Auckland New Zealand

But there are times when it is absolutely impossible to buy a
ticket from the machine. If the tram is crowded a passenger
simply cannot get anywhere near the machine to buy a ticket. I
use "ten by two hour" tickets so I'm always able to reach a
validator even if I'm just inside the door holding on with my
toes.
If you stand outside Melbourne Central in the morning peak,
you'll see what I mean. The PTC has two employees standing by
the trams who call out to the passengers to stand clear of the
tram as it leaves.
This is necessary because Melbourne University students all
squeeze into the first tram in the queue, even though there
maybe seven empty trams behind.
It's true that the system works okay if the tram is not
overcrowded.
The other problem is that the machines on trams accept coins
only.
Suppose you are walking down Bourke Street and you suddenly
realise you're going to be late back to work from lunch. On the
spur of the moment you hop on a tram. If you don't have a ticket
already and you don't have enough coins with you to buy a ticket
on the tram, you are travelling illegally and are eligible for a
fine.
The PTC makes a point of reminding everyone that tickets are
available at all over Melbourne at every newsagent, pharmacy,
florist, tobacconist, stationers, milk bar, delicatessen,
hardware store, department store, video library, fish and chip
shop, green grocer's, supermarket, jewellers, art gallery,
bookshop, Kodak Express outlet, ABC shop, Commonwealth Bank
branch, dry cleaners, McDonald's, hair dresser's, shoe
repairer's, veterinarian's, elderly citizens' clubs, pet shop,
credit union, cinema, Post Office, optometrists, bra shop,
menswear store, nursery, dentist's, butcher's, panel beater's,
travel agent's, Fosseys, K-Mart, Target, Myer, David Jones,
Bunnings, Harvey Norman, Coles, Safeway, Franklins, Liqourland,
nudie bar and brothel.
Aah to hell with it!
David Lindstrom