East/West ends [Was - Re: [Vic] Geelong Line CLOSED]

Chris Gordon <cmgord@spaten.ecr.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
Pine.SGI.3.95.1001010131210.157327B-100000@spaten.ecr.mu.oz.au">news:Pine.SGI.3.95.1001010131210.157327B-100000@spaten.ecr.mu.oz.au...

> Not sure how much difference it makes, but you will find all N sets, H
> sets, Z and S cars and LPDRVs (Sprinters) have "East End" and "West End"
> marked on them. (quite a lot of things in Melbourne are based on the East
> and West system).
Kinda gets messed up on the sparks, because the west end becomes the east
end as soon as the train goes through the loop! If a spark driver has a
defect on a west end car before he enters the loop and he will be going
through the loop straight away, does he report it as an east or a west end
defect?

> A set the correct away around will have compatments (S cars) on the right
> side of the train when leaving Melbourne (for places through North
> Melbourne not Eastern), ACZ will be on the back when leaving Melbourne
> etc..
On WCR services, the snack bar on the BRS usually faces South. If a BRS has
been turned for any reason, it gives the catering staff a whole new view on
life!!

> This is the reason you once saw a Sprinter going around the reversing
> loop, because of an accident on the Newport line, and ARTC a sprinter was
> sent to Sunshine, change ends, and off to Geelong.  (so it ended up the
> wrong way around).
> Alas I think you can't join the No.1 end of one sprinter to the No.1 end
> of another sprinter (or maybe the cars office just doesn't want to).
I have never heard of this, and I can't see why it would be a problem, but
then again sprinters are turned so rarely that it could be possible... But
why would it be that way? Surely you would want your rail fleet to be as
versitile as possible....

Sam