Re: [SA] TransAdelaide/ARTC crossing problems at Blackwood

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000 22:58:21 +0930, "Arthur Marsh"
<mars0177@flinders.edu.au> wrote:

>This afternoon about 4:50pm, the Blackwood crossing barriers had been down
>for a while and cars were moving around the barriers.
>I called the TransAdelaide Transit Police and told them of the situation,
>and they replied that they were aware of the situation and that there had
>"been an accident". I was concerned that had a train on one track come to a
>halt on a track section that activated the crossing barriers, a train on the
>other track, under control of the other operator might not have been made
>aware of the problem, and given the tight curve either side of the crossing,
>not have much warning of cars crossing. However, the Transit Police made no
>statement to the effect that all trains in the area had been notified of the
>situation, and I was left to wonder what would have happened had a
>TransAdelaide train come to a halt on one side of the crossing and a 1500
>metre long goods train was approaching the crossing from the opposite
>direction.
>
>I was wondering if there is a practice anywhere (and particularly for
>crossings containing tracks under the control of more than one operator) of
>remotely monitoring the state of crossings, to provide automatic
>notification to train controllers of trouble situations with crossings?
>
>Arthur.

This post also brings up the similar situation in Victoria re the NE
SG and BG lines ,of who is responsible for the common infrastructure.
ie the level crossings, the Radio Base stations, shared communications

like the aerial pole route.
Who maintains this stuff?

MD