Re: [Vic] Geelong Line CLOSED

> Chris Gordon wrote in message <39DFBC36.C20F5259@VICSIG.alphalink.com.au>...
> >The Geelong-Melbourne line is closed until further notice because a
> >girder being placed at the Corio overpass (Princes Fwy) has fallen down
> >across all tracks.  Unfortunately 1 person killed and 3 injured, all
> >workmen.
>
> I assume from this unfortunate news that the M1 (Princes Fwy) bypass of
> Geelong is finally under construction?

No.  I think the new bridges at Corio allow provision for the "Outer
Geelong Freeway" but it is not being built.

> What is it with VicRoads and bridges failing during the construction phase
> anyway? (Thoughts turn to the 1970s collapse of the Westgate bridge.....)

Umm, generally construction is more dangerous then when it is finished.

--

C.

WEB   : www railpage org au / vicsig
EMAIL : cmgord at alphalink dot com dot au
ICQ   : three two nine eight nine four five zero

Go join VRN : www egroups com / subscribe / vicrail-news