Re: [NSW]Tangara T30/Kingsgrove reconstruction

The last of the up line was being relaid last night at 2000.  By 2300 the
ballast regulator and tamper were in action.

Three new stanchions had been installed with half height stanchions about a
further 5m from the track.  The half heights must be intended as anchors due
to insufficient time for the main stanchion bases to cure.  The overhead had
not been restored at this point in time but all appeared on target for a pre
0600 resumption of services this morning if desired.

One of the new LED signals on the up was wiped out in the slide (only the
good die young).  Replaced by a traditional signal with incandescent globes
(although new LED signals in bubble wrap were sitting off to one side).

The East Hills tracks have always been a bit on the rough side (the
Cinderella line?).  I imagine major replacement work has been postponed as
the last work item on the Turrella - Kingsgrove quadruplication is (was)
total refurbishment of the existing lines, new subgrade, ballast, concrete
sleepers and rails.  I can't see that a private or public maintenance regime
would have changed this.

Recent work on the line includes (aside from quad work) total refurbishment
of the up line through Bexley North station and removal of track joints to
make the track continuously welded (incomplete).

The other interesting point was a Channel 7 report quoting a CityRail
spokesperson as saying that a worse accident was avoided by the driver of
the down train stopping clear of the accident.  The aerial photos in both
the Herald and the Terror show the down line as being unobstructed by either
the derailed train or the rogue wheel set.  If this was the CityRail
spokesperson's line they should be taken out and shot.  Suggesting that a
worse accident was avoided when the circumstances didn't exist for the
accident to be compounded in that way sells CityRail and its staff short by
beating up the fear factor.  Notwithstanding that full credit to the driver
of the R-set for stopping ASAP.

Chris

fjUD5.22234$O7.332319@ozemail.com.au">news:fjUD5.22234$O7.332319@ozemail.com.au...