Re: [Vic] Geelong Line CLOSED

From: http://www.abc.net.au/news/state/vic/metvic-8oct2000-7.htm

Train services cut between Melbourne and Geelong

Rail services between Melbourne and Geelong have been cut for two days
following an accident in which a construction worker was killed earlier
today.

The accident happened while workers were constructing an overpass on the
Melbourne Road near the Princes Freeway overpass at Corio.

They were positioning a series of six large beams,and as they were
putting the last into position, the framework holding it collapsed.
One man fell ten metres to his death, another received a broken leg and
pelvic injuries after apparantly riding the beam as it fell,while
another two people received broken bones.

Daniel Moloney,communications manager for V-Line says the beam fell
across railway tracks connecting Melbourne and Geelong.

"Which means that services from Geelong to Melbourne on V-line will be
disrupted for a couple of days ,we suspect."
"What we're actually doing to accomodate passengers living in the
Geelong area,is that we're running a bus from Geelong station to Lara
,and from Lara you can get the train the rest of the way into the city."
"So we'll make sure all those arrangements are in place and have
sufficient buses,especially for the morning commuters tomorrow."

--

C.

WEB   : www railpage org au / vicsig
EMAIL : cmgord at alphalink dot com dot au
ICQ   : three two nine eight nine four five zero

Go join VRN : www egroups com / subscribe / vicrail-news