Re: Today (Sat) on 22 plat. Central

In article <39dc25fe$0$11636$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,
  "Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

> "David Johnson"
> > signal_spotter@my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> > > So to increase
> > > headway (ie allow following trains to close up) we need to prove
that
> > > you are doing a speed slow enough to warrant reducing the overlap
> > > 100m and allowing the signal to clear. And that's about 20kmh or
so. So
> > > if you did trip the speed would be slow enough that you won't run
up
> > > the back of the train ahead.
> >
> > On tangaras, tripping often makes the braking distance longer than
a normal
> > EP application.
>
> You're being generous, I'd say always.

Well that's very interesting because all my braking curves suggest
otherwise. How can slamming the brakes on take longer than a controlled
braking application. Anyway at least the trip braking stopping distance
is constant whereas controlled braking stopping distance is variable
depending on the driver so I can rely on the trip distance better to
work out my overlap points. Also there is a lot of rolling stock out on
the tracks that doesn't have the superior braking of the Tangara and I
still have to design to cater for them ie worst case.

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.