Re: trams riding on flanges

Chris wrote:

> I was wondering if the practice of Melbourne trams bearing the full
> weight of the tram on it flanges as it goes across crossings and points
> is safe?

That is common practice on street railways around the world, but has
not, as yet, found its way to heavy rail services.  The bottom of the
flangeway rises as it approaches the break in the rail where another
track crosses.  The wheelset then is lifted onto the flange, and the
tread will not have to bang across the rail break.  The idea is to
reduce the noise from passing trams for nearby residents, and reduce the
pounding on the specialwork.  The wheels can easily withstand this type
of operation, and are in fact designed to do so.