Re: Today (Sat) on 22 plat. Central

<signal_spotter@my-deja.com>
>   "Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:
> > "David Johnson"

> > > On tangaras, tripping often makes the braking distance longer than
> a normal EP application.
> >
> > You're being generous, I'd say always.
> >

> Well that's very interesting because all my braking curves suggest
> otherwise.

That's the problem with using paper instead of trains.

> How can slamming the brakes on take longer than a controlled
> braking application.

Because it knocks out regen and EP.

> Anyway at least the trip braking stopping distance
> is constant

Wrong. Every train is different.

> whereas controlled braking stopping distance is variable
> depending on the driver

Mostly depends on the train.

> so I can rely on the trip distance better to
> work out my overlap points.

Only in the sense that it's better to use the longer distance, not that it is
constant or better.

> Also there is a lot of rolling stock out on
> the tracks that doesn't have the superior braking of the Tangara and I
> still have to design to cater for them ie worst case.

As it should be. Might be time you got out of the office and onto a train
though, it sounds like you're out of touch, as are most rail staff who work in
offices.