Re: Today (Sat) on 22 plat. Central

> I don't think they're necessary. The only way you could hit the train
in front after tripping on the intermediate or following trip
> is on purpose - which intermediate trips won't prevent.

You've just given the answer to the reason for ITS's. They are designed
to prevent you from hitting a train, on purpose or accidently, when you
have a reduced overlap because of a train ahead. And the only way you
could hit that train would be to pass the ITS at the correct speed then
accelerate and then trip the trainstop at the signal at a higher speed.
This would mean that you're stopping distance would be longer. Now if
you want to drive with a death wish then let me know what trains you
drive so I never travel on them :-)

> This is the real reason they're put in, to bunch trains up.

Exactly. So are you saying that they're still unnecessary. Do you think
that trains shouldn't be bunched up. Is that what you're implying by
saying that the aforementioned examples of intermediates are unecessary?

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.