Re: Today (Sat) on 22 plat. Central

<signal_spotter@my-deja.com>
>   "Tezza"

>> > The one in question on 22. The rest at Central. Bondi Junction. I'm
> sure other people would say differently, but I just don't think
> > they're necessary.
> >

> What do you mean you don't think they are necessary?

I don't think they're necessary. The only way you could hit the train in front after tripping on the intermediate or following trip
is on purpose - which intermediate trips won't prevent.

> Do you know the reason why we put them in.

I got a feeling you're about to tell me.

> If you did then you wouldn't come out with a
> statement like that. They are put in where there is a reduced overlap
> (100m) (ie a train sitting on the tracks at least 100m past the signal
> therefore the signal in rear would normally be at red). So to increase
> headway (ie allow following trains to close up) we need to prove that
> you are doing a speed slow enough to warrant reducing the overlap to
> 100m and allowing the signal to clear. And that's about 20kmh or so. So
> if you did trip the speed would be slow enough that you won't run up
> the back of the train ahead. Now we can't rely on you saying "OK I'll
> only do 20kph" and leave it at that. We have to prove that you do. And
> the fact that you have been tripped before indicates that we are
> correct in putting them in and not relying on your word or judgement.

Now that I know the reason, I still say they're unneccassary.

> Anyway if we were to take them out then you'd be held back at the
> signal in rear. They are there for your safety, not mine.

This is the real reason they're put in, to bunch trains up.