Re: [Vic/SA] Very long Overland tonight

In article <8rch9p$hnb$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Railway Rasputin3 <james_ccj@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <8rcg63$h3n$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   John Dennis <jdennis@acslink.net.au> wrote:

>> couple of Sunday's ago, and was not impressed at all with the
>>Overland.
>
> Be totally honest with you...nether do I especially if you travelling
> from Adelaide to Melbourne on first class.

My mate was more concerned with what happened before departure than the
actual journey, I think.  The train arrived from Melbourne 90 minutes
late, with only one single announcement at Keswick ("the train will
arrive in ten minutes" -  but it took 30 to arrive - how can they get
that wrong?)

When the train arrived there was no rush to turn it around, so it left
90 minutes late.  Before departure he wandered down to take a photo of
the BL, and returned to find the car doors locked - once again with no
announcements.  He finally find an unlocked door, but the communication
doors between the cars were also locked, so he couldn't return to his
seat.  The door he entered by was then locked by the connie, checking
tickets. A girl, not travelling, then tried to leave the train but
couldn't.  Still no announcements.  After attracting the attention of
the connie (whatever they are called these days) she was let off.
Presumably if she had been in another car she would have had a trip to
the first station.  Finally the train departed - with no obvious
announcements.

The train seemed to make no attempt to regain time, despite not crossing
any more than just a couple of opposing trains, which were put away in
the loop in any case.  It arrived in Melbourne 90 minutes late, and we
can only assume that it would remain 90 minutes late until it finally
came to day when it didn't run.

Other than that, I guess he had a good time :-)

BTW, the train was well loaded.  The passenger sitting next to him
elected to travel by train rather than fly, but would have been in
Melbourne before it finally left Adelaide.  She is unlikely to travel by
train again.

JD
--
John Dennis