Re: [NSW] Holbrook railway

"Trevor Staats" <staats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
lXgC5.17665$O7.235081@ozemail.com.au">news:lXgC5.17665$O7.235081@ozemail.com.au...
> Hi all,
> Driving through Holbrook on the Hume the other day I noticed what looked
> like the remains of a railway goods yard with goods shed on the right as
we
> were heading North.  Is this the remains of a railway line to (through?)
> Holbrook?  My map atlas didn't show any railway line at Holbrook (nearest
> was Culcairn), but the same map atlas also shows a line from Colac -
> Gellibrand in Vic so that doesn't mean much.

There was a line from Culcairn to Holbrook, if you take the turnoff from
Holbrook to Culcairn you will see it on the right until about 4km from
Holbrook, then it crosses to the left for about another 10km - then it
disappears. Most of the line seems in reasonable condition (apart from where
it has been cut for the road) - or at least it did in May this year when I
was down there. Culcairn is a fun place, I stayed at the motel on Olympic
Way about 300m north of the station (on the eastern side of the line) and
you could hear the trains coming through all night. Although, having been
umpiring footy all day (every day for a week) I was not up to staying up all
night to collect loco numbers.

Dave