Re: Slide Scanners - what is your favourite slide film?

Michael Lewis <mdlewis@bigpond.net.au> wrote in article
<Z1RB5.11748$Nr3.39954@news-server.bigpond.net.au>:

>Until I was referred to Vuescan. I have just downloaded the shareware
>(test) version, rescanned my worst infected slide and the difference is
>amazing.

I downloaded Vuescan last night just to see what the hype was all about. So
far it's done a magnificent job on a couple of my slides. Having taken a
few photos on Velvia, I found the HP software (Comes with the HP S20) just
didn't quite cut it as far as colour saturation went. Though, this could
have been due to automatic correction in the software.

Now I just have to learn how to drive Vuescan properly for all situations.
If I find it does a better job than the HP software (many annoyances with
the HP software, like it automatically ejects a slide once it finishes
scanning it, it will eject an already inserted slide if you insert the
slide before loading the software, etc) then I'll purchase a copy.

>Unless you actually want to project slides from an old type slide
>projector, I think their days are numbered.

Load of bollocks. Slides are alive and well, especially in professional
photography. Negative films lack the quality of a slide all round,
especially in colour saturation and sharpness. You just have to look at the
latest Fuji films to see this. C41 is convenient for most people, since
it's much easier to get prints straight from the film, but this may change
with the advent of digital technology.

Slides achieve a lot more than just being able to be projected. Many
magazines (not just rail) prefer slide over print/neg for the above
reasons.

Now onto favourite slide films. My preference is:
Bright daylight -> summer = Fuji Velvia (so far haven't experimented
under/over rating it).
Light cloud cover -> Autumn/spring = Fuji Sensia 100 or 200.
Overcast / rain -> winter = Fuji Sensia 200 or 400.

After having used Kodak, then using Fuji, I wouldn't touch Kodak any more.

M.

--
(To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).