Re: Connex Comeng

In aus.rail, on 30 Sep 2000, Peter Tonoli announced:

>Quentin Christensen <quentisl@leaves.ihug.com.au> wrote:
>> I'm legally blind (luckily not totally blind), when I got to
>> Glenferrie station early Tuesday afternoon, all the barriers were
>> closed and there was no attendant.  I have a rail pass which does not
>> go in the validation machine, so, feeling like I was doing something
>> wrong,
>
>To the right on the wall at Glenferrie there's a big red button that
>opens the barriers at the station that you might want to use.

Thanks, I actually noticed that button the other day (after the incident),
and wondered if that's what it did - no chance it raises a nice big alarm or
anything is there?

> The fact
>that whenever these barriers are shut and there never being an
>attendant there IMHO is irresponsible of the staff at Glenferrie. It
>doesn't seem to be helping reduce fare evasion since evaders simply
>jump the barriers away from the booking office. Any other stations
>doing this?
>
>Peter.

I haven't actually seen it at any other station. I've seen a few times where
there is someone there, but they keep the all the barriers closed anyway, and
you have to stand around trying to get their attention (or jump the barrier,
that usually does the trick :)  Which I find annoying - If it's stopping
people evading fairs fine, but is there really such a big problem with people
running through open barriers and running away (when someone's there), that
is fixed by having someone there and the barriers closed...

It was good to vent some frustration anyway, thanks :)

Regards

Quentin.

--
My Win9x Cursors: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mynx/quentisl/cursors.html
Please don't send me junk leaves! (take them out before replying).

No Silicon Heaven?  But where do all the calculators go? - Kryten.