Re: [NSW] Bondi Beach Rail - Under review

Erk wrote:

> "Chris Downs" <cvdowns@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> u9fV5.48839$SF5.902506@ozemail.com.au">news:u9fV5.48839$SF5.902506@ozemail.com.au...
> | From today's (Thu 30/11) The Sydney Morning Herald, page 4.
> |
> | "Stalled Bondi rail link back on the table.
> |
> | The stalled rail link to Bondi Beach may be scrapped in favour of a
> | short rail loop under private funding options being assessed by the
> | State Government.
> |
> | The NSW Treasury and the Rail Access Authority are completing an
> | assessment of the two options.  The first is to continue with the rail
> | extension with two tunnels.  The second is a government-funded loop
> | at Bondi Junction that would enable a quicker train turnaround.
>

> | The Minister for Transport, Mr Scully, was unwilling to set a timetable
> | for the release of an environmental impact statement.  He confirmed
> | talks were under way and government funding may be required."
> |
> | Chris
> |

> What is wrong with the turnaround times @ BJ?
>
> I think there are projects that should have higher priority than the line to
> Bondi Beach - the money spent on that could be used to improve existing
> trains/stations/tracks.

I think the line to Bondi Beach is a little silly - they would be far better off
going to Randwick, as per the original plan.   Imagine the number of passengers
who would catch a train to "University" station!

On a number of notice boards around the place are the details for the
duplication of the Cronulla line.  This may not be very far away!  The new
terminus at Cronulla will have three platforms, one of which will be very long.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au