Re: [Melb] Old railway line

"Geoff Lambert" <G.Lambert@unsw.edu.au> wrote in message
3a243b12.65907755@nntp.unsw.edu.au">news:3a243b12.65907755@nntp.unsw.edu.au...
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:43:06 +1100, "Spare"
> <grimegrime@hotmailnospam.com> wrote:
> >"David McLoughlin" <davemcl@NO***damned***SPAMiprolink.co.nz> wrote in
> >message 3a234029@news.iprolink.co.nz">news:3a234029@news.iprolink.co.nz...
>  I was interested to learn that the
> >> Inner Circle was electrified.  Was the Outer Circle also electric
(apart
> >> from the Alamein line remnant?)
> >>
> >> David McLoughlin
> >> Auckland New Zealand
>
> >Me thinks to East Kew was electrified.
> >Graeme
> >
> Methinks the line to Kew was electrified. I don't think the line to
> East Kew was. Worked by steam railmotors.

According to Electric Railways of Victoria (Dornan/Henderson), Clifton Hill
to Royal Park was electified 31/7/21. Trains ran Princes Bridge via Clifton
Hill to North Carlton, with some extended to Royal Park. Passenger services
withdrawn 3/7/48. Overhead removed 1961.

Hawthorn to Kew was electrified 19/12/22. Passenger services ceased 18/8/52.
Line closed 13/5/57.

I don't see anything about the Outer Circle/East Kew here. Camberwell to
Ashburton was 30/10/24. Ashburton to Alamein was re-opened 28/6/48.

Looking at this list, with most of the system electrified over about 5
years, makes me think how incredibly slow they are being doing St Albans to
Sydenham.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia