Re: Boy, 15, cracks skull in train leap

Scott Beecham <snoa@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
3a23712a$0$19423$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a23712a$0$19423$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> (copied from the terrograph on Monday, couldn't find an online version)
>
> "When an express train failed to stop at Auburn Station sunday, teenager
> Christopher Newtown made a dangerous decision. At 4:45am the 15-year-old
> prized apart the doors, crouched and then lept from the train which was
> travelling about 50-60km/h.

The express train FAILED TO STOP? Isn't that what express trains do, not
stop?

> The Auburn train enthusiast had been riding in trains most of the night
> before catching the west-bound suburban service express from Central.

> Insp Ashton said there was nothing suspicous in the incident. It appeared
> Christopher had not known the train he caught was an express and once he
> realised it he tried to get off.

Some train enthusiast! Not knowing the stopping pattern of a train!! If he
was a true train enthusiast, wouldn't he have enjoyed being overcarried?

> Insp Ashton said it was the second injury related to jumping off trains in
> the area in two weeks, with a drug-affected man also injured after jumping
> off a train at lidcome station.

No great loss...

> Yesterday Christopher's mother Carolyn Newton joined police in warning
> children not to jump out of train for any reason. 'I think parents need to
> point out what can happen and that your better off being late home then
> trying to do something silly.' said Mrs Newtown."

Shouldn't a 15 year old know the difference between right and wrong? And if
not, why was he out without supervision?

I'm sorry if I seem a little callous, but this is yet another story twisted
by the media to sound like it is the railway company's fault. Every time
there is a level crossing accident, or a fatality or an injury, it is
immediately blamed on the operator, when in actual fact, it is rarely their
fault...

I feel better now, I've had my little whinge!!

Sam