Re: Boy, 15, cracks skull in train leap

"Sam Eades" <seades@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
J7NU5.9416$GW5.56929@news-server.bigpond.net.au">news:J7NU5.9416$GW5.56929@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

| Scott Beecham <snoa@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
| 3a23712a$0$19423$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a23712a$0$19423$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
| > (copied from the terrograph on Monday, couldn't find an online version)
| >
| > "When an express train failed to stop at Auburn Station sunday, teenager
| > Christopher Newtown made a dangerous decision. At 4:45am the 15-year-old
| > prized apart the doors, crouched and then lept from the train which was
| > travelling about 50-60km/h.
|
| The express train FAILED TO STOP? Isn't that what express trains do, not
| stop?
|

| > The Auburn train enthusiast had been riding in trains most of the night
| > before catching the west-bound suburban service express from Central.
|
| > Insp Ashton said there was nothing suspicous in the incident. It
appeared
| > Christopher had not known the train he caught was an express and once he
| > realised it he tried to get off.
|
| Some train enthusiast! Not knowing the stopping pattern of a train!! If he
| was a true train enthusiast, wouldn't he have enjoyed being overcarried?
|

| > Insp Ashton said it was the second injury related to jumping off trains
in
| > the area in two weeks, with a drug-affected man also injured after
jumping
| > off a train at lidcome station.
|
| No great loss...
|

| > Yesterday Christopher's mother Carolyn Newton joined police in warning
| > children not to jump out of train for any reason. 'I think parents need
| > point out what can happen and that your better off being late home then
| > trying to do something silly.' said Mrs Newtown."
|
| Shouldn't a 15 year old know the difference between right and wrong? And
if
| not, why was he out without supervision?
|
| I'm sorry if I seem a little callous, but this is yet another story
twisted
| by the media to sound like it is the railway company's fault. Every time
| there is a level crossing accident, or a fatality or an injury, it is
| immediately blamed on the operator, when in actual fact, it is rarely
their
| fault...
|
| I feel better now, I've had my little whinge!!
|
| Sam

I don't know what there is to see at 4.45am. Personally, I would not have
been out at that timne of morning or on a train for that matter when I was
15 (11 years ago). I'd be guessing that the train would have been the 0402
Lithgow train ex Central, this would explain how he got the doors open at
that speed, even though it said was a suburban train (we all know the track
record of the Terrorgraph in this regard).

<sarcasm> It was lucky that the Police found the excercise book of trains he
caught or they would have thought he was a drunk teenager. </sarcasm>

I think it is time we do a roll call of our younger contributors to see if
they are ok and not at hospital with a sore head.

--
Eric

Email: erkV69@erk.au.com (remove the V69)

"Come on mate, I can't afford a fine! I only
earn $3 per hour!" - Pauly, Pizza.