Re: Connex loses another customer

Vaughan Williams <ender2000@my-deja.com> wrote in message
8vf6a1$in4$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8vf6a1$in4$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> Tony could probably argue this one better than me, but there are a lot
> of people in that Ringwood corridor who work in the Camberwell area.
> Camberwell is also the transfer point for Alamein trains and should be
> where people wanting stations between Richmond and Camberwell change to
> a stopping train. Youre not going to make them sit on a stopper all the
> way from Box HIll, are you?
>
> I suppose a case could be made for one or two super-expresses in the
> peak that don't stop at Camberwell. Maybe they shouldn't stop at Box
> Hill either if they can be filled up by Ringwood.
>
> Vaughan

Up until the new timetable there was a train that went express stopping
Richmond, Box Hill, Blackburn, Mitcham, Ringwood then all stops to Lilydale.
This meant that people such as myself who boarded at Glenferrie and wanted
to get to Lilydale would have to get a later train and change trains.  It is
not unreasonable for people to have to board a "stopper" for the trip to Box
Hill.  (I speak from experience.)  What is unreasonable though is getting to
Box Hill to find that the next train on the Lilydale line only goes as far
as Mooroolbark!

The new timetable has improved this situation by running the 'Mooroolbark'
all the way to Lilydale.  However, as a consequence the earlier express is
no longer express so many stations.

Whatever the case, I think Glenferrie should be the 'major' station - not
Camberwell.  Yes, Camberwell is the changeover for the Alamein line, but how
many people are changing over?  Glenferrie always seems to be just as busy
if not busier than Camberwell.  Passengers could change for Alamein services
at Glenferrie instead and that way only one 'inner city' intermediate stop
would be necessary for Lilydale/Belgrave line passengers.

I'm sure there will be many readers who diagree with my ideas, but to me it
seems that Camberwell is treated like it's the centre of the earth!  Perhaps
 if all those  students validated their Metcards at the barriers then Connex
would recognise how busy Glenferrie really is (during semesters.)

Peter.