Re: Bus Privatization

> This is not unique. Here we also have synched transfers, such that the
> bus waits for the train, and sometimes buses waiting for other buses.

Timetable co-ordination (or very high frequency) is a necessary but not
sufficient condition for making it easy for people to transfer.

The unique (AFAIK) feature in Toronto is the bus going not just to, but
into the station so that you don't even need to show a ticket.

> However, most people prefer a direct connection, and they had to
> re-instate some direct buses that had been removed previously.

A direct connection is always preferred, but its not practical to link
all origins directly with all destinations. This means that you have to
make it easy enough to transfer so that people will tolerate doing so
despite having the choice of driving, rather than trying to make people
enjoy transferring and prefer it to a direct service.

I know a lot of Doncasterites here in Melbourne who would much rather
transfer to a train than sit on a bus all the way to the city.

Vaughan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.