Re: Bus Privatization

> The catch is that people don't like to transfer. A direct bus is more
> valuable than a bus and transfer to rail.

They don't seem to mind if you make it easy for them. This is one of
the (to my knowledge) unique features in Toronto, though a few other
places seem to have copied it. They go to a lot of trouble to make it
easy to transfer. This means keeping walking distances very short at
interchanges, having buses and trams stop on both sides of busy or wide
intersections (so that transferring passengers don't have to cross the
road), and at stations where buses feed the train, having the bus pull
right into the station, not 100 metres away across the car park.
Toronto designed their stations for the bus to pull up inside the fare
paid area so that transferring passengers dont even need to show
tickets.

Vaughan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.