Re: [NSW]SRA billed $15m for airport link's shortfalls

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 00:08:31 GMT, "Dave Proctor"
<daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>"Bill Bolton" <billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org> wrote in message
>eg8b1tk0eohgbavfsnfuhkpvde78pouk6u@4ax.com">news:eg8b1tk0eohgbavfsnfuhkpvde78pouk6u@4ax.com...
>> "William Miller" <backtran@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> > From out my way (Parramatta) cab fare to the airport is about $40-50 one
>way
>> > while the one way rail fare is $11:40.
>>
>> Unless you live next to the station at Paramatta, that's not a fair
>> comparision as it not comparing door to door travel.  While rail may
>> have straight forward fare advantages, that is only part of the issue
>> in terms of choosing travel modes to an airport.
>
>I am at Glenmore Park, about 5km south of Penrith station - it is still
>cheaper to get someone to drop me at Penrith station, or get a bus or a cab,
>and get the train, rather than cab all the way through or cab from Central.
>
>Dave

Its also not fair to compare the fare on the Airport line to other
forms of public transport.
The Airport Line is a privately funded project ,costing $900 M.
The fare will be based on getting a fair commercial return on the
capital invested,not on what other forms of transport cost.
If the Company has got its passenger estimates grossly wrong then they
will simply go broke,unless there are contractual obligations on the
part of the Govt to bail them out.
Its also worth noting that projects of this size are usually financed
by overseae institutions and that the loans are written in $USD,so
that the low $AUD will if anything drive the fares up,not down.

MD