Re: NSW train drivers still in dark over track workers

Jeez, Tezza, for once I have to agree with you. You will end up wearing a tie,
mate!

What is the point of telling a driver that workers are on the track?  What
action do you then expect from the driver? If the instruction is to travel at
such speed that the train can be halted within the visible distance ahead and
clear of all obstructions, then say so. Personally, I will not have a bar of
such a process, which merely exempts the operating managers and train
controllers of responsibility and heaps it all on the drivers.

It has been "traditional" in many railways for track staff to move on and off
the track between trains, without a block of line. The ganger rings control to
get the "line-up" of trains, and takes responsibility for ensuring that the
workers are clear of the track when trains arrive. As a precaution, track
staff put out flagmen and/or detonators as warnings for further protection.

However, in recent years modern upswept managers have decided that greater
productivity can be obtained by cutting gang numbers, and depriving them of
the staff needed to provide decent protection. Also, trains are travelling
much faster, and are much quieter. It is a very hazardous situation.

I have been told that in the USA, the practice of jumping on and off the track
between trains is now considered unacceptable in many railroads.

I think it is long overdue for scrapping in Australasia. Track staff should
work with track warrants or blocks of line, with some sort of radio operated
backup device for on site protection.

I notice that one person has commented in this thread that persons wearing
hi-vis vests seem to think that it guarantees their safety. Good point. Hi-vis
vests are very useful around road vehicles and track maintenance vehicles, but
they are barely a scrap of use as a locomotive bears down. I suppose it makes
the doomed track worker the focus of the loco engineer's attention..........

Bill