Re: NSW train drivers still in dark over track workers

"Bill" <billguest@the.net.nz> wrote in message
3A150365.19DF239F@the.net.nz">news:3A150365.19DF239F@the.net.nz...
> Jeez, Tezza, for once I have to agree with you.

I hope it doesn't get you down being wrong so often  :-)

> You will end up wearing a tie, mate!

Hush your mouth!

> What is the point of telling a driver that workers are on the track?  What
> action do you then expect from the driver? If the instruction is to travel
at
> such speed that the train can be halted within the visible distance ahead
and
> clear of all obstructions, then say so. Personally, I will not have a bar of
> such a process, which merely exempts the operating managers and train
> controllers of responsibility and heaps it all on the drivers.

Exactly what they want.

> It has been "traditional" in many railways for track staff to move on and
off
> the track between trains, without a block of line. The ganger rings control
> get the "line-up" of trains, and takes responsibility for ensuring that the
> workers are clear of the track when trains arrive.

Doesn't allow for anything running out of course.

> As a precaution, track
> staff put out flagmen and/or detonators as warnings for further protection.

They did away with most of this to save money, that's why hairy-legs are
getting killed so often.

> However, in recent years modern upswept managers have decided that greater
> productivity can be obtained by cutting gang numbers, and depriving them of
> the staff needed to provide decent protection. Also, trains are travelling
> much faster, and are much quieter. It is a very hazardous situation.

They actually changed the rules to get rid of the protection.

> I notice that one person has commented in this thread that persons wearing
> hi-vis vests seem to think that it guarantees their safety. Good point.
Hi-vis
> vests are very useful around road vehicles and track maintenance vehicles,
but
> they are barely a scrap of use as a locomotive bears down. I suppose it
makes
> the doomed track worker the focus of the loco engineer's attention..........

I detest them. They can't show that one single Driver's safety has been
improved by them.