Re: [Aus] Fastest Freight Train?

>From my recent wanderings on AMTRAK the max speed was about 70 mph which the
freight trains appear to maintain too.  On some occasions, to make up time,
up to 90 was hit, however I am not sure if freights do this. Having said
that, these speeds are only maintained on flat level track.  The California
Zephyr in mountainous terrain (and these are mountains, not the hills here)
does not exceed 45 mph.  So 70 mph would not be an average but a max on the
very long prairie stretches. The freights often get priority over the
passenger trains, especially from Beaumont in Texas to New Orleans with the
Sunset Ltd I was on being 12.5 hours late into New Orleans.  God knows how
late into Florida but all great for observing the rail scene which is just
awesome.

Cheers
Rod Gayford

3a14b29f$0$24643@motown.iinet.net.au">news:3a14b29f$0$24643@motown.iinet.net.au...