Re: [Aus] Fastest Freight Train?

I was after the average speed from terminal to terminal. The Trains article
went on to say that this included long stretches of running at over 70mph
(say 110kmh), but the overall average was about 42mph or just under 70km. I
agree, this average is not so high on paper which is why I wanted to know if
there were any equivalent or higher average end to end speeds in Australia.
I'd be surprised if these speeds really do qualify as "world's fastest
freight railroad" - if not in Australia I'm sure somewhere in Europe freight
train averages would be higher. Mind you over that distance, and with that
density of trains, which evidently still includes a few stretches of single
track.

This may be another case of "if it's the fastest in the US, it must be the
fastest in the world" syndrome! I greatly admire Trains as being a very good
and professional mag, but my one gripe with it has been its almost total
US-centric view of the world.
Alan