Re: RTM 19th Century Treasures

"Robert Lee" <robsl@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> It's almost impossible for any organisation to be both a museum and an
> operating railway. In my humble opinion, both Dorrigo and the RTM try to do
> too much and thus run the risk of falling between two stools.

In general I agree.

> I know no organisation anywhere in the world, not even the best funded and
> most professional, that do both effectively. Does anyone??

The Ffestiniog (Wales), Crich Tramway Museum (England), the Illinois
Railway Museum (USA), Seashore Trolley Museum (USA), and Orange Empire
Electric Railway Museum (USA), the Sydney Tram Museum and the AETM in
Adelaide are a few that spring readily to mind which maintain
representative collections in good condition and operate a significant
number of the "exhibits" over at least several kilometers of trackage.

Cheers,

Bill