Re: [NSW] Wish list for upgraded ticket vending machines + some observations

In article <xIsN5.4643$KY1.12406@news1.rivrw1.nsw.optushome.com.au>,
  "-Mitch-" <mitch@aus.rail> wrote:
> "Hubert Lam" <hubert@imap4.com> wrote in message
> 8u3emo$1ab$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8u3emo$1ab$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> > *  They generally work well, however the Tahoma font used on the
touch
> > screen could perhaps changed to a nice looking one (like
FranklinGothic
> > Medium or Frutiger Roman to complement CityRail/Olympic signage).
The
> > Airport line
>
> Let's not get picky about fonts shall we :) Frutiger Roman isn't
exactly
> easy to come by for Windows PCs - I assume they just used the nicest
common
> font. It is better looking then Times New if you ask me!
>
> > * Will all stations get the touch screens?
>
> I highly doubt it. I'd assume they're very expensive, and the money
could be
> spent elsewhere. The current push-button machines aren't too bad yet.

So how are Airport Line tickets supposed to be sold now? CityRail
claims the old machines aren't capable of calculating the Station
Access Fee (don't ask me how they calculate the 60c station access fee
at Olympic Park)

> > Wish list:
> > * be able to sell tickets from another origin. Say I'm at Central,
and
> > want to travel to Strathfield, but then on the return trip I want to
> > travel to Chatswood. The machine should be able to sell a Chatswood
and
> > Strathfield return for that purpose (and not have to queue up at the
> > ticket office!!). Applies to weeklies and CityHoppers as well.
>
> I think that would encourage people to cheat on the tickets, skipping
a few
> stations here or there. Some silly people might not know where they
are (or
> forget!).

No it won't. It won't be able to sell tickets out of range, i.e. if I'm
at Strathfield I wouldn't be able to buy a Lidcome to Parramatta single
from the ticket machine. I'll only be able buy say, Lidcombe and
Central return.

> > * Accept $50 notes (but would that attract thieves to try and hammer
> > the machine to get to the $$$?)
>
> Eeek. The main purpose of this would probably be to avoid change
problems.
> $50 for a $1.10 ticket. You will take 2x$20.00, 1x$5.00, 2x$2.00,
1x$0.50, 2
> $0.20. The change would be emptied in no time. Thieving might also be
> problem.

|Hubert              hubert@imap4.com      |
|Public Transport Ticketing @              |
|http://members.optusnet.com.au/~kiwifruit |