Re: Official announcemnt on Sydney to Canberra yet???

On Mon, 06 Nov 2000 10:14:12 GMT, "Dave Proctor"
<daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>"Maurie Daly" <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>3a062201.16131047@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3a062201.16131047@can-news.tpg.com.au...
>
>> One of the issues that I have never completely understood in the
>> Speedrail project is exactly what is it that the Federal Govt has to
>> approve?
>
>They have to approve the tax concessions. In essence, they have to decide
>between receiving no tax revenue if the project goes ahead (thereby
>foregoing potential income) or receiving no tax revenue if it doesn't go
>ahead (ummm, no project, no profits, no income) - I cannot see what their
>problem is, since the former (income foregone) is only for a limited period
>(not sure how long).
>
>> The project is ostensibly a private project running thru NSW and the
>> ACT,so surely the only Govt approval necessary is that of the NSW and
>> ACT Govts which I understand has already been given.
>> What are we waiting for ??
>
>See above.
>
>Dave

This is the point I dont understand.
A project with a very high capital cost like a VFT isnt going to make
any profits for a long time , at least until the whole project is paid
off,so there wont be any tax revenue anyway.
If the Speedrail consortium had any kind of decent accounting then
they would ensure that the project never made a profit , at least not
in Australia.

MD