Re: Our nearby neighbours in NZ....

Craig Haber wrote:

> Hi, just back from 3 weeks in New Zealand, a few things of interest:
>
> Loco wise, their main classes are the DC, DFT and DX.  The DFT's are a
> nice going loco, a 12-645 turbocharged engine (something like an N or A,
> but the turbo is retrofitted) with 2400 odd hp and about 30t lighter
> than an A or N, a good sounding and going loco.  Dx's are 4 stroke GE's
> (gurgle gurgle gurgle), 2800 or so HP, intended for South Africa but
> ended up in NZ.  They look and sound pretty poxy, but seem to do the
> job.  Only saw the one DBR - shut your eyes and it's like a T class
> going past, the same 8-567 engine.  DC's were rebuilt in Adelaide in the
> 70's, 12 cylinder engines, I think they're still roots-blown 567's.
> Even saw QR's hauling WA coal hoppers!
>
> The Silver Fern railcars are a most impressive conveyance, little wonder
> as they have the same 900hp donk as the Dj loco's (Caterpiller) with
> just 2 cars to move.

Did you get to see any of the ex British Rail Mark 2 coaches? By some
strange coincidence the loading gauge in New Zealand is almost
identical to the British C1 gauge, so when new coaches were required
TranzRail bought some Mk 2s from its associated company in the UK,
plus some others that had been imported privately. They replaced the
bogies (for some reason they didn't simply put new wheelsets in the
Commonwealth and B4 bogies the Mark 2s had) and refurbished the
bodies, fitting them with plug doors in the process.

--
For a dining "experience" visit the "Killer Prawn" in Whangarei!
Be served and charged for food *without even ordering it*!