Re: Our nearby neighbours in NZ....

"chris 'fufas' grace" <chris@transdata.co.nz> wrote in message
3A06FC12.83D609F3@transdata.co.nz">news:3A06FC12.83D609F3@transdata.co.nz...

> Did you get to see any of the ex British Rail Mark 2 coaches? By some
> strange coincidence the loading gauge in New Zealand is almost
> identical to the British C1 gauge, so when new coaches were required
> TranzRail bought some Mk 2s from its associated company in the UK,
> plus some others that had been imported privately. They replaced the
> bogies (for some reason they didn't simply put new wheelsets in the
> Commonwealth and B4 bogies the Mark 2s had) and refurbished the
> bodies, fitting them with plug doors in the process.

Yes, We travelled from Wellington to Palmerston North using these cars.
They have apparently only refurbished 9 of the 69 imported cars, and they
are an "awesome" travelling experience. The sooner they get the other 60
into service, the better..

> --
> For a dining "experience" visit the "Killer Prawn" in Whangarei!
> Be served and charged for food *without even ordering it*!
> Let the staff treat you with undisguised condescension and contempt!
> Experience the total incompetence of the management! Book today!

Wish I'd known about that when I was there, I love a good run of "Customer
service contempt"

Tony.