Re: WA. rottnest tourist rail

David McLoughlin wrote:

> metro.create=destroy wrote:
> >
> > anyone know if this is still operating?
> > or if there are any plans to upgrade or build a new one?
>
> There is rail on Rottnest?

When I was on Rottnest about 4 yrs ago there was a narrow gauge tourist
railway running from behind the main settlement (where the ferries arrive)
to the big gun on top of the hill. It was originally a military railway to
service the large gun enplacements upto about the 1950s. The current
operators (if it still runs) built the extension to the settlement and had
just completed an extention at the line at the other end to reduce the walk
(and climb) for the tourists. There is also a spur line running to the
original port terminus used by the military.

The trains consisted of converted open wagons with seating and a canvas
roof - not unlike the People Mover "trains" that run around Darling Harbour
in Sydney and were hauled by diesel shunters. There were two or three
complete train sets when I was there.

It has (had) the unusual distinction of running right along side the runway
of Rottnest Airport - it made take-off and landing interesting

No doubt some WA groupers will set the record straight.

Peter Ware

To reply to me direct, remove one of the "w"s from the return address