Re: Broken Hill - Fate?

I recall that they were going to replace the clapped out passenger carriages
with newer clapped out carriages from the old dart. But luckily Country Link
couldn't afford to ship them to oz. (why do they always look to the UK for
solutions?) Hopefully they are all under water now due to flooding over
there.

Chris

"David Johnson" <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
3A055D88.19E0EEE7@ozemail.com.au">news:3A055D88.19E0EEE7@ozemail.com.au...
> Peter Berrett wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > I checked the Countrylink timetable today and was surprised to find that
the
> > recently introduced Broken Hill service has disappearedd.
> >
> > Why is this so? I thought the locals fought long and hard to get their
rail
> > service back up and running? I noted too, that the Ghan now runs along
this
> > route. Did its introduction to teh Sydney route have an effect?
>
> The clapped out "temporary" rollingstock outlived its useful life so far
as
> CountryLink were concerned.  I think they found a number of safety issues
when
> inspecting all rollingstock after Glenbrook.  Countrylink now has bulk
bookings
> on all three GSR trains (2 Indians and the Ghan) between Broken Hill and
Sydney,