Re: Alamein line problem?

> Please correct me since I will be wrong, but my impressions of these emergency
> panels are
> not favouirable.
>
> The panel seem to offer limited funcionality and cannot run the area safely for
> any period ( unlike the signal boxes they replaced) - often in closets or dark
> places. They seem crippled from the start in route setting - and I believe
> never intended to be used for any length of time. I saw the Clifton Hill one
> and it seems if there was a failure it probally would affect it as well.
>
> They seem to be nintendo things, put in to be there but not to be used. Again I
> hope I'm wrong.

Well for a start Ashburton is not an emergency panel.

An emergency panel is one that can operate the interlocking when other
control is lost.  For example Metrol controls places like Victoria Park,
Clifton Hill, South Kensington.  If the links are lost to there places
then the emergency panel can be used.  Victoria Park and South
Kensington were once operated locally, so they are just the old panels
moved to the relay room and remote control provided.

See: http://www.railpage.org.au/vicsig/signalling/ashburton/index.html

Clifton Hill is one of a kind.  (being a *true* emergency panel, almost
all the rest are old panels that once had signallers working them), like
Laverton, Lalor, Keon Park, Victoria Park, South Kensington, etc...

Moorabbin is a different story again.

Places like Bell, Ashburton, Darling, Brighton Beach, Chelsea, Seaford,
etc... are only switched in as required and spend the rest of the time
switched out and operating automatically.

--

C.

WEB   : www railpage org au / vicsig
EMAIL : cmgord at alphalink dot com dot au
ICQ   : three two nine eight nine four five zero

Go join VRN : www egroups com / subscribe / vicrail-news