Re: auckland, christchurch rail

geoff dawson wrote:

> Re recent comments whose thread I have lost:
>
> 1. It would be simple to convert Auckland suburban rail to light rail style
> operation. Restore the route to the old central city station, turn left into
> Queen St, straight up to rejoin the Waitakere and Porirua lines somewhere
> near Mt Eden & Newmarket respectively.

Waitakere (west) and Papakura (south).

The problem with this is none of Auckland's rail lines is particularly
close to population centres. They run for kilometre after kilometre
through overgrown, run-down, almost abandoned industrial areas.

The best routes for light rail in Auckland (Dominion Road,
Pakuranga-Botany Downs-Howick and the North Shore) do not even have rail
lines.

In any event conversion would not be simple. The lines are not electric.
They are used 24/7 by freight trains. And the gauge is 3'6" which is too
narrow for a decent light rail system.

> 2. Dare one ask why Christchurch rail station was moved out of town? For the
> greater good of some worthwhile civic improvement? Or becaue someone figured
> they could make most money from the site by selling it to McDonalds?

There are no suburban trains in Christchurch (the last, the Lyttelton
line, which was electric, closed in 1972). There are only perhaps six
passenger movements a day, to and from Picton, to and from
Dunedin/Invercargill and to and from Greymouth.  Not worth maintaining a
huge (and it was huge) railway station for.

Last time I went past, the station was either a cinema or a museum or
both.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand