Re: auckland, christchurch rail

David McLoughlin wrote:

> The problem with this is none of Auckland's rail lines is particularly
> close to population centres. They run for kilometre after kilometre
> through overgrown, run-down, almost abandoned industrial areas.

This is certainly true from Penrose through to Mangere and from
Puhinui south, but the west line through to Glen Eden is almost
entirely residential and some of the stations such as Mt Albert are
located in the middle of some quite densely settled areas. If the Mt
Eden station was moved to the Dominion Rd Flyover it would pick up the
Landscape Rd area, the New Lynn station is right across the road from
Lynmall City, the Newmarket station could be improved to serve
Broadway (even now it isn't that bad), Greenlane could be moved to the
city side of the bridge, Ellerslie is right next to Ellerslie village,
and so on.

The Eastern loop is a bit far from habitation, I admit, particularly
the section from Glen Innes to Otahuhu, but the good citizens of the
Eastern Suburbs are hardly likely to use Public Transport anyway. This
might change as there are plans to make a big retail development in
SYlvia Park and join it to the Harvey Norman centre in Mt
Wellington/Panmure, and the rail line runs right through the middle of
both sites.

--
For a dining "experience" visit the "Killer Prawn" in Whangarei!
Be served and charged for food *without even ordering it*!