Re: auckland, christchurch rail

When the Addington workshops closed the land freed allowed the junction
between the South and north lines to be reversed so that freight trains
from the south and from the ChCh marshalling yards could go straight
through to Picton without reversing. (They could have retained the old
line as a triangle but didn't.) This posed problems for the Picton
passenger trains from the old station and they would then have had to
reverse at the junction.

Shifting the station meant:-
* Picton passenger trains didn't have to reverse.
* Most of the yard at the old station could be sold as no rail access is
required to the old station.
* The Addington - Lyttleton line could be downgraded as it no longer
regularly carries pasenger trains.

The only problem is that the station was built for the traffic levels of
the time and has trouble coping with the increase that has taken place
since then.

In article <OzkO5.8$KQ6.2525@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net>,
geoffrey.dawson@aph.gov.au says...