Re: Technical rail maps - digital info available?

In article <qmvO5.18967$SF5.434412@ozemail.com.au>,
  "Sam Lander" <netwrk@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> Apologies if this is a FAQ...
> Is there a source for technical Sydney rail maps? The kind of info I
am
> after is:
>    Signal, trainstop and sensor locations
>    Switches and throwpoints
>    Stations and platforms - used and disused
>    Gradients and curvatures
>    Speed limits
>    Comms links - radio, fibre, mechanical and electrical
>    Road and rail tunnels and bridges.
> And, going one better, is there a digital source for this info?
>
> Sam
> sam_lander@yahoo.com.au

Note- This applies to NSW.
What you're after are "Signalling Plans" (aka Track Plans). We create
these when we design a new signalling scheme. They show all the above
mentioned. And in mechanically signalled areas (ie no track circuits)
they have "Working Sketches". Anyway you can find them all (and a
million other types of railway plans) at the RAC Plan Room located on
the first floor of their Pitt St building however it will cost you.
They charge like wounded bulls. And a typical signalling plan will only
cover about 10km as they're in 1:2000 and 1:10000 scale. The new plans
are digitised (using Microstation and Autocad) but the majority (ie pre
1990) are sepia or linen. Hope this helps.

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.