Re: New form of rail transportation

Peter Berrett <pberrett@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
ginP5.10733$Xx3.45408@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au">news:ginP5.10733$Xx3.45408@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au...

> Thansk for your comments Peter but I beg to disagree.
>
> Essentially for public transport to be feasibel it must have a competitive
> advantage over using yoru own car whether that be cost, time, comfort or
> some cobinatation of these factors. People have to prefer to use the
system
> rather than using their own car.

Can't help but agree with you there.

> The reason why I selected Springvale road as an example was that it
crosses
> the Dandenong line, passes the terminus of the GlenWaverley line, crosses
> the Lilydale/Belgrave line and will eventually cross the East Burwood tram
> if it is extended. Public transportation along this route would not only
> service the areas along this road but also provide a means of cutting
across
> the suburbs and removing the necessity to travel into the city to get to
> areas across town.

I'm not sure that extending the trams along Burwood Hwy would be that
beneficial.  It's been a while since I've been down there, but I can't
really remember there being a lot of room in the median for it to be placed.
Of course, I could be mistaken, but on the other hand, trams from there to
the city would take too long to be competitive with either cars or trains
along the Belgrave or GW lines.

> Melbourne's train system is crying out for some form of ring railway or a
> form of public transportation to cut across town.Eventually this may to
some
> extent be facilitated by an express bus service running along the ring
road
> and Scoresby freeway but this would not be an optimal solution.

Thank you, that is what I was arguing in the thread about the airport rail
link.  While bus services do the cross-city routes now, the fact is (as you
point out below) that buses (and to a lesser extent trams) still have to
contend with traffic, not exactly something conducive to running a reliable
service.

> The prinicipal issue (as usual) is cost and one of the principal costs is
> land. A suspended railway avoids much of this cost
> by using existing rights of way - eg roads.

But the land is already there, run along the proposed alignment for the
Scoresby Fwy.  The only line that this would miss is the Glen Waverley,
which could be extended to suit.

> You mention that a bus service along Sprinvale Road could have traffic
light
> priority. This would play havoc with traffic diring peak periods and still
> not provide a smooth express service. An optimal service has to have its
own
> right of way.

Exactly.